Category: Headless eCommerce
Keeping up with the technology curve is an ongoing initiative at any business, and it is not a new phenomenon. Since the introduction of the first IBM mainframe, IT has been continually challenged to keep up without breaking the budget. From mainframes to enterprise software packages to SaaS applications to the headless eCommerce platforms of today, we’ve seen many positive evolutions in technology’s ability to improve a business’s ability to benefit from IT investment. But little has been done to effectively reduce technology debt and the on-going burden associated with keeping any of those investments current.
Over time, technology debt builds and future generations of business are burdened with it. As that collective debt has continued to climb, we have come to treat it like the national debt…”It doesn’t seem to be a big deal now,” we say, or “We’ll let future generations deal with it.” Technology debt will continue to hamper business productivity if actions are not taken to manage technology debt and ideally begin to reduce it over time. Of course, we all understand that it is not as simple as “stop investing in new tech and focus on reducing technology debt.” Technology innovation has and will continue to drive productivity and differentiation in our businesses. To remain competitive, we must continue to innovate.
This is one of the reasons you’ve started to hear more and more buzz around headless eCommerce platforms. With the evolution of the decoupled user interface from the back-end infrastructure and architecture that comes with headless eCommerce, you’re seeing that technology is finally evolving towards methods to:
- Make it easier to lower your technology debt
- Stay current with the pace of change of technology
- Allow you to better control your destiny.
Headless eCommerce Platforms and the API economy are the first key steps towards a better technology debt future.
Headless eCommerce is the tipping point in today’s technology evolution; businesses can finally move towards LESS technology debt AND still drive innovation.
There are 4 key underlying principles that enable headless eCommerce platforms to be the evolutionary step discussed:
- Device independent UIs. The mobile revolution has forced technologists to create more efficient ways to accomplish multiple user interfaces for the same software. Headless eCommerce platforms and their APIs enable business to put as many faces on their business logic as appropriate without massive new development projects each time they want to do this.
- Multi-tenant platform. Easier innovation and lower total cost of ownership are the most obvious benefits of multi-tenant software. Headless eCommerce platforms and platforms-as-a-service (PaaS) take multi-tenant one step further by giving you even greater control and allowing you to create your own user experience.
- Open source, collaborative code development. Even with all of these benefits described, you still have a lot of code to be written. Thanks to the open source community and technologies like GitHub, developers can collaborate and share code more effectively than ever. Modular design best practices means faster development, less reliability on your developers and more manageable change. Headless eCommerce embraces your ability to do this on an enterprise scale, therefore leading to less technology debt.
- Cost-effective integrations. As headless eCommerce platforms become mainstream, no longer will we be beholden to large ERP platforms for all features for our enterprises. But instead, you choose the best platform for the specific business purpose you are looking for. Headless eCommerce makes it easier to change out technology when it no longer serves the purpose. If you don’t like the way you’re able to handle analytics today, use APIs to connect to a new analytics platform, simply and easily getting rid of the old. In essence, you control your technology debt fate, gain R&D control without the traditional costs to be paid for that control.