Category: Best Practices
As more enterprises find themselves shackled by out-dated, monolithic eCommerce platforms, the term ”MACH architecture” is buzzing. Enterprise software suites are no longer the safest choice, as businesses look to find more and better ways to remain agile, nimble, customer-centric, and future-proof.
That’s where MACH architecture comes in.
What is MACH Architecture?
MACH stands for Microservices-based, API-first, Cloud-native, and Headless.
- Microservices-based: In other words, individual pieces of business functionality that are independently developed, deployed, and managed. Microservices are made for specific business capabilities, and are designed to perform a single function.
- API-first: All functionality is exposed through an API, making it possible to tie together two or more applications or services.
- Cloud-native: The software development and delivery are entirely cloud-based, built for high performance, and automatic scalability. Services like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft, allow access to on-demand resources to run your application.
- Headless: Headless architecture focuses only on the back-end functionality, allowing users to build their own custom front-end user experiences. This allows complete design freedom and functionality in designing the user interface and for connecting to other channels and devices (existing applications, IoT, A/R, Vending Machines, etc.).
In combination, MACH technologies support a composable enterprise, in which every component is pluggable, scalable, replaceable, and can be continuously improved. All of the pieces work together to drive agility, enable faster time-to-market, and give enterprises design freedom like never before.
Why MACH Architecture for B2B eCommerce?
Migrating your B2B eCommerce capabilities from monolithic to MACH architecture will become known as “the last replatform you’ll ever do.”
A few of the key benefits MACH supporters tout include:
- Improved Speed with Less Risk – With this agile architecture, you get a dramatically faster route to MVP (minimum viable product), and therefore to launch. For digital agencies, SIs, and even enterprise development teams, you’ll be able to rapidly roll-out prototypes which help prove key concepts before investing in large-scale implementations. Rapid prototyping can also help circumvent tedious RFP processes saving everyone time and money.
- Execute a Best-of-Breed Strategy – MACH architecture allows you to take advantage of the best technology available. You no longer need to settle for less-than-the-best add-ons that come with software suites. Because of it’s composable nature, MACH can also help you preserve existing functionality that you’ve invested in and are happy with.
- Say “Goodbye!” to Upgrades – Never worry about disruptive upgrades that seem like replatforming projects in themselves, ever again. With MACH architecture, all releases are automatic and non-breaking. There’s a clear, inherent boundary between our code and yours which makes this possible.
- Seamless Customizations and Innovation – Now more than ever, it’s important to be able to make changes rapidly as your customers’ needs change. Prioritizing innovation means prioritizing iteration. The ability to constantly change and innovate on the customer experience is a key pillar to MACH architecture. Whether you need to add curbside pick-up capabilities over the weekend, or launch a rebranded ordering experience for a high-profile, enterprise customer, MACH makes that possible.
Whether you’re a large enterprise looking for technology that will foster better dialogue between business- and technical-minded colleagues, or you’re a mid-market business who needs technology that will allow you to adapt as the market continues to drastically evolve, MACH architecture is right for you.
Interested in learning more about the benefits of MACH architecture for your business? Be sure and follow the MACH Alliance, a new organization dedicated to education and thought leadership on MACH architecture capabilities and strategy. Start with “Introducing MACH – the microservices-enabled, API-first, cloud-native, headless technology of the future – and what businesses need to know to remain relevant.”
Learn more about migrating from Monolithic to Headless eCommerce – DOWNLOAD OUR EBOOK.